Jan 12, 2010

The washing machine works!

First off, this morning, bright and early at 7:30 a.m. the doorbell phone thing starts ringing. Kelly and I are shocked at first until we figure out what is going on. So I answer our little phone and the camera shows a picture of who is ringing our door bell. It's a youngish looking guy with long hair. I'm a bit skeptical, but all I get out of the phone call is "washing machine." I decide to let him up. We are both running out of clothes. Our landlords told us someone would be stopping by this morning, but none of us knew it would be this early! I didn't think the country started working until after 8, but you learn something new every day. I guess it works we just didn't know how to use it. Through a rough translation we learned you have to turn the knob 3 times (to crank start it?) then press the start button and it should go. We shall see this afternoon!

Back to Monday: Work was fine. We got in 20 minutes early because we left early for fear of traffic. There wasn't any. Dang. So it turned out to be a bit of a long day. We are still trying to learn what everyone does and how we can help. The time difference is also a bit of a hassle, especially when were waiting on people from America to help us out. I think you all need to stop sleeping and just sit by your computers and be ready to help us at any given time :) Now that I know everyone is laughing at me, I'll continue. Well we get off work at 5 and the shops close at 6. We have a 20 minute drive home. So it was a race home, change quick, and off to the city to see what else we can buy.

We're speed walking through the streets until we see a store that has possibilities for us. We need steak knives, hangars, lunch bags, Tupperware, a pitcher, and running shoes (for me). Well we see some kitchen like stores and find the knives. We continue on down and find another store that has EVERYTHING. We get the lunch bags, and Tupperware. Totally forgot about the hangars. We also saw that they have fleece throws. I was complaining this weekend about not having any blankets around the house (Mine was taken out due to weight issues at the airport). Nice to know for next time! By the time we made it down to Footlocker, they were closed. Maybe today or Thursday (they're open late). We also did a quick peek around for any people that alter clothes. Supposedly they exist on the street, but we haven't found them yet (I may be sending them to Doris' mom, she's great!). We decide that's enough shopping, and they're all closed, so its time for the important dinner.

Now, for dinner last night we went out for Mexican. My general rule of thumb is to not eat a food outside of that country's speciality. Well, I went against my instincts and was pleasantly surprised! When walking around Saturday evening, we saw a cute little restaurant painted in all of the vibrant Mexican colors so Kelly got online and did some research, got the menu translated, and decided that's where we should go on a Monday. I agreed. The restaurant is called Popocatepetl. Since it was Monday night, we figured guacamole and an order of margaritas were in order so we ordered a 1/2 liter to share. They were AMAZING!




Yummmm and cute!

I asked the waiter what his favorite meal there was and he informed me he is a big fan of meat. Not exactly helpful, but I was on the fence between the burrito or ribs. I'm not generally a rib fan because I don't like to get my hands dirty while eating but I asked him how they were and he started gushing about them. I figured for that much enthusiasm, I better try them. Apparently the "spicy" are better than the "sweet" so I went for "spicy."

Lovely food!

Now, they weren't spicy as defined by a native New Mexican and someone who spent many weeks in the last several months acclimating to habanero sauce, but they had great flavor! I even got the traditional fries and mayo...I asked for a side of ketchup. Its best when mixed (personally). I have to give it the "Best Mexican Food Outside of a Boarding State" award. It was that good! We have every intention of going back!

No comments:

Post a Comment