Jan 15, 2010

Our Town

Kelly and I were finally able to venture out yesterday during daylight hours. It was a blast! We finally got to see our cute town for everything that it had. And boy did it smell good!! ALL of the stores were open, as well as little flower stands and donut shops that we didn't even know existed. There was a stand that sells oliebolin and Kelly had never tried one so we split one. She's hooked. Oliebolin is a giant donut hole type treat that is traditional for the Dutch New Years, often times covered in some form of sugar and having nothing, apple, or rasins inside.






A picture of some traditional houses and the flower stand.


We were also able to bo a bit of shopping for a few things we still need. I had to get new black boots because my feet were freezing in my flats. That mission was accomplished as well as a new pair of running shoes bought. The funny story with this is that it was at a running store and the guy who was helping me started asking me how much I run and what not. Well considering I didn't bring any running shoes with me, I tried to play it cool and be like "Oh, about 3 times a week usually, but I haven't ran in awhile." So he finds a pair of shoes and I try them on and, of course, like them. He then asks if I want to try them out on the treadmill. Now, I've read about "test driving" shoes in magazines, but this was the first time I've been offered this. Not wanting to reveal my lack of running knowledge I try to play it cool and agree to this test run. I climb on and he cranks the speed up to 8. Now the first thing that goes through my mind is 8mph. My mind starts racing with how horrible its going to be that I, the cool, awesome runner that I am, cannot run 8 mph how embarrasing its going to be run I crash through the shelf behind me. After these thoughts of total destruction, I realize that I'm in Europe and it probably means 8 kmh. So I thouht I should ask before I crash through anything and sure enough, it was in kmh and I didn't crash through any walls. Close call though!



The main street right by our apartment (also the street with the bank, very important!)



A pretty building on the square. I have no idea what it is, but pretty none the less!



The church in the city center. Haven't been inside yet, but it looks beautiful!


After shopping and running around around all day trying to finish up our loose ends, we were both exhausted. We decided a glass of fine would fix everything. We found a really neat wine bar with gold walls and decided that was the perfect place. It was so cute! The wine was amazing too! The ambiance was wonderful. A great date spot if I ever find my dutch prince :) We also wanted some food and we had seen a tapas bar so we went in serach of that. We finally found it and it was great! We were able to get a bunch of little different things that we split. Not too much food, but super tasty! That place is definitely on our "return to" list!



All of our different tapas. Calamari, meatballs and tomatoes, patatas bravas, kroketten with spinach and cheese, chicken with garlic, and empanadas.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hahaha love the shoe story! thats awesome! glad you didn't crash =D liefs karla

Post a Comment