Jan 21, 2010

To The Lawyers....

Kelly has been sick the past couple of days. We had a doener at a Turkish restaurant; it’s a bit like a gyro. Well they are my favorite, and I guess they don’t like Kelly. She got food poisoning. The place is even named “Amalia” so in theory, I gave her food poisoning. She was a wreck on Wednesday and we took her to the Dutch doctor’s because she looked like death. I really didn’t want her to die. So one of the guys helped us find a doctor nearby and he took us there then to the pharmacy where we got Kelly all hooked up. I am happy to announce the medicines helped and Kelly is still alive, but not quite back to normal.

She looked almost normal this morning, but then something hit her mid morning and she got sick again. We had to go to Amsterdam this afternoon to meet with the immigration lawyers to get the paperwork we need to file for our residency permits. I was a bit worried Kelly wasn’t going to make it. After a 2 hour nap, she was ready to face the world. We “cheated” and drove to the train station instead of walking, figured out how to buy a ticket and managed to get on the correct train. After a short 15 minute ride, we were at that Central Amsterdam train station. It was so easy! The outside of the train station is BEAUTIFUL (see picture below)! We managed to find the correct street we needed and started walking.


A sea of bicycles outside of the train station. Definitely the most I've ever seen in one place!

Before we went to the lawyer’s office, we had to get Dutch government approved photos made. The office told us of a photo place just down the street so we managed to find that and get the photos done. It was all so fast and easy. The photo man was very nice and helpful and spoke great English. That is one great thing about this country, everyone knows English. We walked by a pizza place and Kelly said she needed some food so we stopped to get some. We had a bit of extra time, so it was a nice little break.

We then walked to the lawyer’s office, signed our life away on about 20 different pages, and left all in about 20 minutes. I was very impressed. I was expecting a huge ordeal full of torture, but it was painless. On our walk back to the train station we were able to look in the windows of all of the diamond stores around. Very pretty jewelry! Now all I need is a few extra hundreds (thousands) of Euros and a reason and I would be set!! We didn’t do any sightseeing, it was a straight there and home mission but, hopefully, Kelly will feel back to herself again by Saturday and we plan on going back for 2 days of extensive sightseeing and food eating. I cannot wait!

When Kelly was napping today, I ran across the street and got some potatoes to make her potato soup. It’s what my Mom always made me when I was sick, so I figured it had to work! It’s not quite done yet, still boiling on the stove, but I hope it turns out. We shall see. I figured this is a turning point that I started making potato soup instead of having it made for me. I’m not sure I’m ready for this, but I guess it crept up on me without me knowing. I’m sure I can revert back childhood when I’m around my mom. I don’t think I am very fond of the adult/responsibility thing. I do like the freedom and privileges though! Something tells me they happen to go hand in hand though.

Better go check my soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment