Feb 3, 2010

No Part 3

So Kelly managed to organize her stories of Antwerp into a 3 part series. I only managed 2. Oh well. She did finally post the video of the organs playing though so you can hear them here.

On Friday Kelly and I are headed to Paris! We haven’t lined out all of the details yet, but we do have a hotel room and we are driving. It should be about a 3-5.5 hour drive depending on who you talk to. I would suspect about 4.5 hours but I’ll let you know that detail after I make it. I will say though, driving 4.5 hours and ending up in Paris is better than driving 4 and ending up in Albuquerque. Sorry Chris...and Mark who gets the lovely other end of the spectrum and ends up in El Paso.

I would like to point out that the sky was already light blue this morning, and it was still very light out on our drive home yesterday. That means our days are getting longer! I love having a bit of sunlight in my life. Yesterday was pretty drizzly, rainy weather but today looks better. I’m just happy there has been sun and it’s no longer grey out. I can handle all other weather as long as sun is involved occasionally.

We also made it home early enough yesterday to go to the post office and bakery. I had a letter in my mail box saying that the post man tried to give me a package but I didn’t have it. Well since I’m no expert at reading Dutch, I figured it was at the post office since it’s only across the street. I took the note to the post office but my package wasn’t there. The lady was kind enough to point out though, that he left the box with my neighbor in Apt 28. That’s why the number 28 was on there when I live in Apt 18. It’s making sense now. I ask Kelly to go with me when we got back from the bakery and she said she would. So up we go to floor 3, Apt 28 and ring the doorbell. We haven’t met any neighbors and rarely see anybody at all so this was a new experience for us. There was a wheelchair in front of the door so I suspected they move a bit slower so we wait for a while and an elderly man answers the door. I speak English, he doesn’t. So we talk back and forth for awhile at each other in our respective languages then I hand him my little note. He gets its, says something about Christensen, then I point to myself and we have an AH HA! moment and he points the box then says “please” (in Dutch) and I get my box thank him (in Dutch) and go on my way. I’m excited about my new books!!!

So this morning I go to the group of guys who teach me Dutch and ask them how to say “I’m sorry, I can’t speak Dutch.” All of the guys also got haircuts so then I had to learn how to say “I like your hair cut.” Which lead to me learning how to use the term Opa (Grandpa) in everyday talk as well as learning how to tell the old man that I like his baldness. They all got a grand laugh out of this; I found it slightly less amusing. Regardless, I’m still working on learning Dutch! So in honor of that…..

Tot morge!

No comments:

Post a Comment