Feb 12, 2010

American Spicy or Dutch Spicy?

Last night Kelly, Richard, myself and another woman from work all met for a drink and then headed to dinner. This was enlightening because we always walk by this sign for the Whiskey Bar on a side door. Glancing through the beveled glass in the door it looked nice, but the outside looks a bit shady so we were always too skeptical to go in. Well, we met Richard and C. in the hotel bar before dinner, and guess what? It’s the same bar as the side entrance and it is very cute and nice! It's decorated in the Scottish plaids, has a long list of whiskey offerings, and some very tasty beers on tap. It was probably a bad thing we discovered this place so close to our apartment. I also now know where I'll be sending my mother if she starts to act up.

So after our drinks we headed to Wilma and Albert's, a cute steak house located near the Grote Markt. We have been told about it and have seen it but we haven't been because it was expensive and we figured we would wait till we could find someone to take us. That lucky day finally came. C told us how tasty the ribs were so I had to listen. They offer sweet or spicy so being the south westerner that I am, had to go with spicy. Kelly got a great steak so that we could split our plates and have the best of both worlds. I'm glad we did. Those ribs were AMAZING and SPICY. Not Dutch spicy which really just equals flavorful but American spicy. My lips were burning, my mouth was very, very warm and I was a happy, happy camper. They were so great. We are definitely putting that restaurant on our repeat list, whenever we start repeating restaurants.

It is also finally Friday, which means we get beer this afternoon. I thoroughly enjoy this tradition. We missed last week because we left a bit early so we could get a start on Paris. I really like the tradition and it is fun to have something to look forward to. I also enjoy how normal it is to drink beer at work. I guess everyone realizes that they can survive with just one or two and behave so they don't ruin it for everyone. The Dutch do have the moments of ingenuity. This would be one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment