Apr 28, 2010

TULIPS!!!!

When I took the train this past weekend to Delft I rode by field after field of tulips. I decided I had to get out and see the fields. I kept asking the guys at work but I kept getting answers of “oh they’re not ready yet” referring to the tulip fields. After seeing them from the train, I figured I better not listen whole heartedly to the Dutchmen that aren’t real crazy about their flowers to start with. I Googled and found a town south of Haarlem that is supposed to have nice tulip fields. I put Noordwijk into TomTom and headed that way. It was leading me to the city center and I knew there wouldn’t be tulip fields there so I decided to take a sign that pointed back to Haarlem. I figured I was on a good path because it at least got me off the highway and away from the traffic.

I was winding down the roads and kept seeing glimpses of the fields but I couldn’t figure out how to get to them. I was pretty frustrated and eventually ended up pulling over to the side of an exit to get a shot of some fields across the canal. I was getting happier. As I drove down the road some more, I saw some cars on what appeared to be an access road. I had to find that road! So after taking a few random exits and making laps around the roundabouts, I finally found it. It was like I struck the tulip lotto! It was field after field of color. I will say, though, that were still many flowers that have not yet bloomed. I figured I would venture up North next time and see what I find in that direction. This weekend there is also a flower display in a town. I’ll have to see if I can track that one down. But, until then enjoy the tulip pictures!!


My stopping on the side of the road/exit tulip field picture

My first pink tulip field and proof I was really there!

Can't say that I wasn't in the thick of it!

My favorite new flower. The Pioen Rose tulip...I think. My boss said they can get HUGE. I want these. I need to figure out where to buy them. I guess the first step would to be to have a yard....


Rows after rows of tulips. As you can see, some are just sprouting out of the ground.

In front of my new favorite flower. I was so happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment