Apr 23, 2010

It's a Plane!

(I meant to post this a few days ago, but something happened and it didn't work. I just noticed. Sorry!)

Yes, flying is back to “normal” around here. There are flights taking off and landing now, but I still feel that the skies are quieter than normal. Maybe the clouds are obscuring my view, but there are usually 5 planes in the ski at any given time and now, there are like 2. At least they are flying though. I’ve got a plane to catch in 2 weeks so I hope things are back to normal then. Shoot, I hope the airlines are still in business then! I’m very happy my industry is not dependent on the airlines. Granted, oil and natural gas has its own challenges but I cannot imagine how these 5-6 days of no flying has affected everything from hotels and caterers to airport shops and restaurants. Well, for the airport places maybe they made a killing having people trapped inside for days. This is just another reason why one should travel with a carry on at all times. At least then you’d have a spare set of clothes and tooth brush. You can survive with a few things.

At work, the radio is set on my desk so I get control of the music. I keep telling everyone I’m going to burn a CD with country music that they have to listen to ALL DAY. Maybe I’ll save it for my last day. They might kill me otherwise. Either way, I don’t have any blank CDs and have no idea if my computer can even burn CDs. I have begun to censor songs. There are two that I just CANNOT stand so if they come on, I shut the radio off. They are “The Winds of Change” and the stupid Firefly song. I don’t care, but any song that sings about being kissed by 10,000 fireflies does not deserve to be heard. The group generally doesn’t mind too much but they still give me a hard time. I’m sticking to my censorship though. I don’t want to be put in a bad mood because of a stupid song!

May 5th is the Dutch Independence day. As I was writing this, I realized it is the same day as Cinco de Mayo so I had to Google to find the reasoning behind it. It is Liberation Day which marks the end of Nazi occupation in the Netherlands after WWII. Liberation day is generally celebrated every 5 years. Wikipedia said they it became recognized as a national holiday in 1990 to be celebrated every year, but the guys explained it to me as only being celebrated every 5 years. Well, I guess I got lucky then, I get the Wednesday off. There is a large outdoor looking concert in Haarlem on that day so I might go find that and see what it is all about. Hopefully the weather will be nice. It has been sunny the past few days but only about 10C which is 50F. That is cold enough to not make a person want to enjoy the outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment