Apr 12, 2010

My German Family

On Easter Monday Mom and I were lucky enough to get to celebrate the special holiday with my german sister's family. They are a very special family to us. When I was 12 Mom decided it was time for us to host our first exchange student. She came to us under less than desirable circumstances. Her first family wasn’t ideal. We still wonder why in the world they hosted an exchange student, and who in what organization thought it was a good idea. This family had little financial stability, numerous drug problems, and had little respect for personal boundaries. That is the downside to the exchange program. "Schwester" then moved in with a teacher who already had an exchange student and the original student’s program said 2 German exchange students cannot live together. So since "Schwester" was the newbie, she had to go. My mom knew Bob back in high school and he called her up and asked if she would be willing to host an exchange student. We had her for around 6 months. It may have been more or less, I was young then. My mom told him to bring her over so we could meet her and then decide. Well, we all spent about 5 minutes with her and were asking her where her suitcases were. She moved in very soon afterwards and it has changed our life ever since.

When I was 14 the family made a trip to visit her and meet her family. Then we met her fun brother, "Bruder", as well as her loving parents. On that trip we also toured Bavaria including castles and the Dachau concentration camp. It was very humbling for 2 young kids to see that (my brother was 12). When I was 16 I made my first solo trip ever to jump the ocean and travel with Doris and her friends on their graduation trip to the south of France. We had a fabulous time and still laugh about the stories. I also had one of the best tans of my life then. It’s probably why I now have my freckles and sun spots already forming.

"Schwesters’" parents, Hans and Regina, don’t speak any English and they were the reason why I wanted learn. They were such nice people and I had to learn, which is what inspired my exchange year in Germany. I can now speak to them! They probably wish I had never learned and was quieter at the dinner table.

"Schwester" and her brother made a trip (or two) to visit us several years ago. They stayed for about a month and we always have an amazing time. It seems when they are around we always have at least 1 run in with the police and always a good story to laugh about later. Never a dull moment with my german family. "Bruder" has also let me drive all of his cars in Germany. Some go faster than others, but either way some important lessons have been learned. The lessons include:

1) I am not born to be a race car driver. I cannot pop the clutch and I tend to stall out
2) Traffic on the autobahns at 1am is generally light, handy when “opening her up”
3) Driving at 150 mph is TERRIFYING.
4) Throwing innocent toys out the window driving the above speeds is scary, for both the toy and the thrower

So having my german family part of our family the last 12 years it is only natural we keep in touch. "Bruder" is recently engaged to Natalie. Everyone loves Natalie and we are all so happy for both of them. Their timing could not have been more perfect for everyone and there should be a wedding in September and kids shortly thereafter. I guess what they say, when you know you know, is really true. I’m still not a firm believer but I guess it is growing on me.

Patience is a virtue in all aspects of life and I keep working on that trait. Maybe one day I will learn. I just booked my tickets to go back to visit my german family and attend "Schwester's" cousin's wedding as her date. This will be my 2nd German family wedding and I am VERY excited since the last one was so much fun! She is also marrying a Mexican and that culture knows how to party as well. It will be a very merry time for everyone.


The German family clan, from left to right (around the table) Regina (Mom), Oma (Grandma, I can't remember her name for the life of me!), Me, Hans (Dad), My Mom, Doris, Klaus, and Natalie
The happily in love couple. They are so cute together!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amelia, my students told me about this so I decided to go looking for it...and I found it! I love it...you know you'll always be a part of our family and you know how much your family has changed my life, too...
...by the way, love the pink and of course you chose the chandeliers as your wall paper...
I love you sis

Post a Comment