Apr 29, 2010

Koninginnenacht

I’ve been wanting to do something outside of my apartment and start some sort of Dutch socialization process and I decided on yoga. Last night was my first class. I found a studio right across the canal from my apartment, not even a 5 minute walk. It was really nice. There are lots of young people who were there and the instructor was nice too. She said everything in Dutch though so I was a bit lost, but I just followed everyone else and it wasn’t too bad. I plan on going back, and hopefully continue 2x a week until I move home. We’ll see how that works. I am a bit sore today. Nothing major, but I can feel a few select muscles. I consider that a good thing.

Tonight is Queen’s night or koninginnenacht as the Dutch say it. It is the start of the celebration for the Queen’s birthday. It is actually the date of her Mom’s birthday since the weather tends to be better on April 30 compared to January 31, her actual birthday. This celebration continues right on through till tomorrow night. I am planning on going out tonight, alone, for the first time EVER. I have never been out to a bar or party or anything of the sorts totally alone. I have met people there but this time I am flying solo. The guys at work have given me all sorts of advice and tips, only half of which I feel safe listening to. The other half I would have been better off never hearing. I did make two of them in charge though. One is responsible if anything should happen to me, and the other is responsible for searching for me if I don’t show up to work on Monday. I should survive, but you never know.

Tomorrow, Queen’s day or Koninginnedag, I am headed to Amsterdam to see what the party there is like. It is going to be wild. They say over a million people come out and celebrate in the city. There aren’t even that many full time residents! I am meeting a few people from work who reluctantly agreed to be my friends. I still don’t own any orange, which is a prerequisite to wear but I figured I can buy a big silly hat on the street or something. I’ll manage one way or another. The weather isn’t supposed to be that great though, rain in the mornings and a high of 59. Oh well, maybe there will be less crowds? I doubt it. I will keep you posted about the crazy antics of Dutch partying. Hope I live through it!!!

1 comment:

Z4K13 said...

See u in Amsterdam! Where to by the way? Museumplein or Rembrandtplein? Hook me up! Tot ziens

Post a Comment