Apr 13, 2010

Lost in Translation

I’ve learned many things working with different cultures in different countries. Some things are more profound than others, but I wanted to share a few of them.

Did you know the saying “curiosity killed the cat” has a reply? “Satisfaction brought him back!” We (2 Americans, 1 Scotswoman) were talking one day and I brought up the first half then the Scotswoman came back with the answer. The other American and I just looked dumbfounded (he is of a well mature age with lots of life experience). We had no idea what she was talking about. It rhythmically made sense, but we just always thought the cat died! We didn’t know the cat could live again (although it would made sense since they generally have 9 lives). I guess the reply sunk in the ocean on its way across so many years ago. We Googled to confirm what we were hearing, and it is true, satisfaction really did bring the cat back!

Candy floss = cotton candy. The Scotswoman brought me jelly beans as a little present so we were looking over the 36 different flavors and I came across candy floss. I was so confused. I could guess being it was a pink jelly bean but still candy floss? I made a generalized question of “What is Candy Floss?!?” and one reply I got was “Is that a stripper girl’s underwear?” Leave it to a Dutchman to come up with that association! We all had a good laugh over that one.

One from a few years ago during my exchange that I just think is too funny: My host father came down the stairs on day and asked me if I had ever heard of the “Chicken Dicks.” I got a confused look on my face and asked for him to repeat his question because I don’t think I understood it. Same thing, the “Chicken Dicks” so I pondered his question then, trying not to burst out laughing I ask him “Do you mean the Dixie Chicks?” He got really excited and started saying “YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!” and that is when I lost it. I died laughing, almost rolling on the floor laughing. He didn’t quite understand what I found SO funny so I asked if he understood the meaning of his first question, he didn’t. I had to explain. After that, we both started laughing! Every time I bring it up to him, we still get a good laugh. That was a priceless moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment