Jun 20, 2010

Never a Dull Moment

After Doris and the girls leave, I have about a day's recovery period as I head to the airport Sunday evening to pick up another coworker, Carean, who is flying in from Scotland. Karla is flying out on Monday, June 7th, and I am supposed to be taking her to the airport first thing Monday morning but one of her other friends said she would take her and since it would save me a bit of stress, I took her up on the offer. I did meet the girls for dinner at Wilma and Albert's and took Karla some of the belongings that got left here by the group. I still managed to forget a few things, so I still have stuff I need to take back for Karla.

With Carean and Javan here, I have done a TON of eating out these last few weeks. After a week of work and no major hang ups, we spend the weekend touring Amsterdam and seeing the Van Gogh museum. I never knew how many different styles he painted and how where he lived affected what he painted. During his time in The Netherlands and Antwerp, things were a lot darker and more traditional. Once he moved to France, it was like someone turned on the lights to his paintings as they became more colorful. He had such a dramatic life filled with so many different events. After the museum, we headed over to the Hard Rock Café for drinks and appetizers in preparation for the big game. USA v. England was coming on later in the evening and we were not going to miss out on that action.

After taking a break for food, Javan and I were exhausted so we decided to use public transportation to get back to the train station and get back to Haarlem before the start of the game. We went to the Whiskey bar in Javan's hotel to catch the game. They had it on the big screen, and we didn't win but didn't lose either and that is what is important.

On Sunday, we were both lazy and decided to take an easy day with nothing planned. We did get out and do a brief little tour of Haarlem, but nothing too exciting. We were preparing for a busy week at work and game planning how we were going to tackle any issues that came up after we turned on the new systems. My last few weeks here are winding down quickly and are full of work. I am glad to be keeping busy and being able to help out and hopefully make these transitions a bit easier, but it is sad because the time is flying by.

Tomorrow morning I fly out to Norway for a few days to help Javan train the new location and prepare for any issues that might come up. On Friday I fly back here and get to spend the weekend packing and spending the weekend with my host parents from Germany. So, as of now, 11 days and counting….

No comments:

Post a Comment