Jun 27, 2010

The Germans are Invading!

So after 2 weeks of work and hanging out with Javan, I had some more German visitors come. Peter, Doris' cousin, and his 3 friends all made the long journey. I know Peter through all of the weddings that I have attended with her, but this last wedding we really hit it off and had a fantastic time. He has become quite the dancer and just made us all laugh and enjoy the evening. When I finally convinced him to come visit, I was really excited. They didn't arrive till late Friday evening and had to leave Sunday so it was a short trip but we packed a lot into it. Friday night we headed into Amsterdam for a night in the clubs. We ended up in Studio 80 and had a great time. I never thought I'd be one to like the dance music, but I have come to enjoy it in the right setting. Maybe Karla and her brothers aren't so crazy for always listening to it. Well, they still are since I can only handle it under certain circumstances but I can see why they like it. We didn't get to bed till about 7 am on Saturday morning and as a girl who need her sleep, their waking up at 11 am was not cool. I never function on 4 hrs of sleep, let alone morning hours of sleep. We all got dressed and headed into Haarlem for some shopping. They came to appreciate all of the wonderful little stores we have. In the afternoon they headed to Amsterdam but I stayed behind. I was so grumpy I knew I was not an enjoyable person to be around. I spared us all the grief and stayed home for a nap.


That afternoon after they had returned, we all debated on a plan and decided that since the beach was so close they needed to see the North Sea. It was cold, rainy, windy weather but the ocean was beautiful. There was nobody on the beach and the waves were huge with foam all along the shore. You could just see the force of nature with every curling wave. They all ran in and out of the surf chasing the surging and receding water lines, but I didn't want to get my shoes sandy so I skipped those activities. We got sprinkled on, but no major precipitation fell from the sky. After the beach wed drove into Amsterdam. When they were there earlier during the day they didn't go through the red light district. Now, I can't let any of my visitors not see the most famous part of the city. So on our tour through the district, we stopped by a coffee shop so that they could see inside. The verdict, looks like a normal coffee shop but stinks. So Saturday night was definitely a shorter night, and very much welcomed.

Since I knew I was going to be busy on the weekend, Javan went with Richard, his wife, and some of their friends to a big outdoor concert. He had to ride a bike 20 miles in the rain which any American is definitely not used to. The big act he saw was UB40 along with many others but I'm happy he had such a great time.

We both took it easy on Sunday and relaxed and prepared for our flight out Monday morning to Norway for Bar-Code implementation at their location. Another exciting week!!

Me freezing at the sea. It was so windy and cold!!

The dark rain clouds, the big waves and the foam. It was beautiful in its own way.

Peter and I at Studio 80. He liked the hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment