Jun 20, 2010

More and More Visitors

So after Tabatha and Boyd flew home on Monday, May 31st I had 4 days to recover and get my apartment ready Doris and her 2 friends to visit. They arrived on Thursday evening, June 3rd and we didn't waste any time! We headed out into Haarlem for a brief walk around town so that the girls could get a lay of the land for their excursion to Amsterdam on Friday while I worked. It was so great to catch up with Doris and her friends. Doris and I were the two single gals as Katrin is married and Sabina is engaged. They are both with American soldiers who are currently in Iraq and they found out just before they came that their men were going to be home in 6 weeks which was several months earlier than originally thought. I have known Katrin for many years as she was an exchange student the same time Doris was. She lived in Georgia and her and Doris celebrated their German graduation together and we all went on a trip together. Stories were brought up from that fabulous vacation and we had many more laughs.


The girls had a busy day in Amsterdam on Friday and, from what I hear, did a TON of walking. We met back at my apartment and they took a break and we got ready to go back into the city for an evening out. We walked around Dam square, toured the ever famous red light district and just hung out and enjoyed the atmosphere for a few hours. We caught the last train home at 1:30 am and called it a decently early night. On Saturday I had to head to the airport bright and early to pick up Javan, my coworker. He and I worked pretty closely during my rotation in Houston and I was excited to see him again. He got check into his hotel and had a few hours to take a nap. The girls and I had planned to head to Delft and Den Haag (The Hague) to see the sights and help Annemiek celebrate her birthday. Javan sent me a message and let me know there was no way he was going to make the trip with us, he wanted to keep napping. We completely lucked out and the weather was amazing the entire weekend. So in addition to seeing The Hague, we had to stop by the beach at Scheveningen. We were only there for about an hour, but that was long enough to walk in the sand, take some pictures and eat an ice cream. It isn't a trip to the beach unless there is ice cream!! After we dusted off our feet, we headed to Delft to visit with Mark's family and celebrate Annemiek's birthday. I was a bad attendee, though, because I forgot her gift and it is still sitting on my table. I'll get it sent before I leave this country!! It was so nice to see all of the family - grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. We spent the evening talking and visiting the local bars and pubs here in Haarlem. It was great to see Doris again and spend some time with everyone.


They had to leave early Sunday as it is an 8 hour drive (with traffic). From what I heard, it was a decently uneventful drive which is always a great thing. The next time I'll be seeing Doris is for her brother's wedding in September when I make a crazy long weekend trip across the big pond to help her family celebrate the happy event. Until then, we've got to depend on emails!

No comments:

Post a Comment