May 31, 2010

Malmö

Friday morning I enjoyed sleeping in, again, and didn’t get a very early start. Due to this late start I wasn’t able to go and see any more sights in Copenhagen. There were a few things that I would have liked to have seen but I guess I’ll have to see them next time. When I got to the train station, I had to stand in a line that did not move for my train ticket. I watch all the other lines around me moving quickly and by the time I got the courage to switch lines, that line would have gotten a new influx of other impatient travelers. Usually, whenever I switch lines it seems that one gets stuck for some reason and then my old line moves rapidly. I decided to be patient as I wasn’t technically in a hurry. I bought my train ticket to Malmö from Copenhagen which goes over the Øresund bridge which is the first non water (ferry) connection between Sweden and Denmark. The bridge started construction in 1995 and was finished in 1999 3 months ahead of schedule even though they ran into a few setbacks (finding unexploded WWII bombs on the sea floor and a skewed tunnel segment). You can check out more information on the bridge and see aerial photos of it HERE.

My guide book told me (again) to start with a canal tour and since this one left right across from the train station, that is exactly what I did after stashing my bag in a locker. I am getting pretty good at that now but I did have a few mishaps and lost about $5 due to the machine being mean. I headed over and bought my ticket for the boat but I had about a 20 min wait since I just missed the last one. I walked into the city square and took some pictures and grabbed a warm chi tea because it was FREEZING out. I then headed back to the boat dock and started bundling up and wrapping my scarf for maximum warmth since I knew it was only going to get colder being on the water. The water cruise was a bit over an hour long and like Copenhagen; their harbor area is becoming quite inhabited and new modern housing buildings are being built left and right. Malmö also has a few luxurious gardens, one of which is the King’s Garden that I strolled through. It was a quick few hours there but very enjoyable.


A fountain and pretty flowers in the King's Garden

Cute little houses

These ducks almost attacked me. I reas ready to start kicking but luckily they flew off before things got dirty.

They put cats and fountains on the stairs so that people feel less lonely sitting on them enjoying the river

I had to include a Swedish viking ship

No comments:

Post a Comment