May 6, 2010

Liberation Day

Yesterday, May 5th, was Liberation day or, as the Dutch say, Bevrijdingspop. It is celebrated once every 5 years and I’m not totally sure why but I was told because they were in habited for 5 years by the Nazis. Wikipedia says they celebrate every year with a 2 minute silent memorial every year on May 4th for those who have died in war but I know they only get off work once every 5 years. I got lucky. So, it is a big deal and another reason for the Dutch to party so that’s what goes on. In Haarlem they have the biggest celebration in the whole country. It turns out; it all took place in the park across the street from my apartment.

I had a lot to do/see since we got the day of work and I had to go see the flowers again before they are out of season. I decided to start my Liberation day with flowers. As you can probably tell, this day will be stretched into multiple postings. First, you get happy flowers. I went to Keukenhof again. I just love that place! It closes May 18th and I’ve got a lot of plans between now and then so I wasn’t sure if I would be able to make it over there again or not. I had to see St. Basil’s cathedral in bloom since I had seen it at all of the other phases. It was beautiful and I’m glad I went. Maybe I’ll try to get there one more time before they close. I forgot my camera so I had to take pictures with my phone. Most of them turned out pretty well considering the circumstances, but some of the pinks look like purple. I’m not a fan of purple flowers, nor do I see them a lot. So picture them a vibrant pink and it is more accurate. Enjoy the happy flower pictures!!







St. Basil's Cathedral in bloom...finally!



No comments:

Post a Comment