May 10, 2010

Bloemendagen


Limmen has their “Flower days” where a few of the locals make mosaics out of Hyacinths and display them in their front yard where locals from the neighboring town of Castricum come and judge them. It is definitely a thing that riding a bike would make more fun and enjoyable but considering I am bikeless I wasn’t going to let that stop me. They have an 8km route set up but I only went on a portion of it. Most of it is car accessible but I did get out and walk just for the sake of the experience. It is amazing what they make out of flower petals!! Limmen was also a cute little village. There is practically nothing to it in the sense of things going on but there were some gorgeous and very large houses. What surprised me most about some of these very large houses, they were quite American looking because they were sprawled out instead of built upwards. Maybe that is what made them look so magnificent. I also think it is neat how the whole city gets out and makes everything festive for this event. On many of the roads all of the houses had a similar theme. Like one of the roads had little plants displayed every so cleverly next to tulips inside a bottle of water tied to a wheel like display that was attached to a light post. I should have gotten a picture to make this clearer, but I wasn’t thinking. Another street all had Mary Poppins silhouettes painted in different colors with a variety of flowers attached to them displayed on all of the street lights.

A happy elephant


This one made me laugh. It's Iceland....and it says "bankrupt"

They mean serious business with their flowers!

So, as you can see, the people of Limmen are high skilled and bring a bit of creativity and festivity to their little village.

No comments:

Post a Comment