Mar 1, 2010

An Uneventful Weekend….In the Netherlands

Now, I didn’t say it was uneventful everywhere. In fact, this was one of the most dramatic weekends I’ve had since moving here. All the drama happened in America though. I was far removed from the “action” which I consider a positive thing for all parties involved. Now, many of my dear friends know how I can become passionate about a subject and don’t always choose the most tactful way to show my feelings/beliefs/opinions. I continue to work on it, but no miracle has happened yet. I got news of some behavior back home that I am disappointed it. Such is life. Not everything goes how you idealistically want it to. I am glad I wasn’t there when the “main event” took place. I admit it, I probably would have made a scene and enjoyed my evening a lot less had I been there. My friends have told me they were happy I wasn’t there. Thank you friends.  It is just hard to realize that no matter what, life goes on. It doesn’t stop because I am in Holland. My friends still go on dates, and more often, with people I don’t know. The reverse is true too, though. My life hasn’t stopped because they are not by my side either. We all continue on in this search of grown up behavior and responsibility and pick our way at a path we think is best suited for our individual selves. It is hard when things go on and you’re not part of it, but I guess that is the price we pay for in our quest for life experiences and we have to figure out the balance of when that price may get too high.

Besides drama back home, this weekend was uneventful. It rained the entire time. It was also “warm.” Oh, don’t forget wind. It’s a new factor into the equation of “lovely Dutch weather.” At one point on Saturday the rainy drizzle was coming down in sheets with the wind. It was like being back in New Mexico; the only difference was it was rain instead of dirt. That’s the plus side; there isn’t a lot of dirt and sand in this country. I guess it’s just figuring out the lesser of the evils.

I picked Kelly and Stu up from the airport Saturday evening. They had a fantastic time and thanked me for the recommendation of Munich. I’m glad I did not let them down! They also brought me a mug from the Munich soccer time. I have a Hefeweizen glass and now I have a pilsner glass. I am slowly creating a collection of proper beer glasses. Considering I only have one of each, I can’t start a bar just yet, or really even serve my family a beer. Good thing they don’t mind drinking out of the bottles if that occasion rises.

Speaking of family, my parents are off. Hopefully they will return in 3 weeks but my mother gave the run down if anything should happen to them. I guess it’s best to be prepared, but it was still slightly morbid. I learned my dog was left with my cousins. I have no doubt they will take excellent care of her. They dote over their own dog plenty and I’m sure Mimi will just continue to get more spoiled. I did get a report though; she is still a great “sitter.” Least my parents haven’t ruined her of that skill, yet. I hope Mimi can come to terms with Colie though. Colie is a sweet dog when she is in the arms of one of her family members and her mouth is duct-taped shut. (Sorry Todd!) Maybe the two will come to an understanding and Mimi can show her the ways of an older, calmer (usually) dog. They will have plenty of time to spend together! I figured since I haven’t included pictures in awhile, I would put up a few of my beloved Mimi! Enjoy!


Mimi loves to chew. In my old house she had a doggy door and would take her bones outback, get them dirty then bring them back in. I hated it. We got her a bone so big it would keep her busy forever AND she couldn't get out of the doggy door. She eventually outsmarted us learned how to drag it out by one end. It sure was fun watching her try all those times though!


She once upon a time had puppies. They were so cute!! It killed me to get rid of them, but one dog is enough in my life. They are immortalized in photos though. Cute puppies!

Mimi and her funky ears. Boston Terriers ears should both stand up, like a chihuahua's. Mimi has a 50% success rate with ear properness. One is lazy, one functions (looks wise, she hears just fine...when she wants). As you can see we also like to play with her ears. Poor dog never had a chance of being a "normal" untortured dog. :)



My mom snaped this photo not too long ago. She is laying in her bed. She is starting to look so old! She is about half way through her life designated life span (according to the books) but she is crossing the thresh hold of a "long life" according to our family's dog keeping habits. I hope I don't jinx her. She is such a good dog and I miss her so much! Can't wait to play with her again!

No comments:

Post a Comment