Mar 25, 2010

I See The Sun!!!!

Oh the weather outside is….AMAZING!!! Yesterday after work Kelly and I decided to go out for dinner. Since she is headed back to Houston soon (we still don’t know exactly when) we figured she needs to go out to all of our favorite places for “one last meal.” This was the first time that I have been excited to walk around after work. Usually, it’s a necessity for food, but yesterday it was quite enjoyable. The people were out in masses. The ice cream shops were filled with customers. A few weeks ago we didn’t even know those buildings were ice cream shops then one day POOF! Apparently, the one by our house is quite delicious because there are always a ton of people there.

On our walk to dinner we had to walk through the Grote Markt and it was full of people and tables and chairs and beer. Everyone was just sitting around having a great time enjoying the warmer weather and sunshine. By warm weather, I mean mid to upper 50’s. I never thought I’d be so happy to see such low temperatures but it really does feel like a day in the summer. I mean, we only wore 1 layer of clothes. I am wearing the lightest jacket I brought. It’s just so enjoyable!! Today’s high is supposed to be 59F it was 55 when we woke up this morning! I slept with my window open last night! Spring time really is a happy time. The buds are popping out on the trees and the birds are singing. I just can’t get over the great weather.
Last night’s dinner choice was tapas. Their bread with aioli is just amazing along with their empanadas. What’s best about the place…the quick service! We were in and out in less than an hour which is just unheard of here. We usually don’t get out in less than an hour if not an hour and a half. It was only our second time to visit so it hasn’t big such a big “repeater” but I have no idea why! It might have to become a more frequented establishment. After dinner we went to the other ice cream man, he isn’t as nice but the ice cream is still great and got a little treat. I got a scoop of apple tart and it tasted just like apple pie with little chunks of crust and a nice cinnamon flavor. Kelly got a waffle with sugar. We sat on the bench and enjoyed people watching. A man asked us for directions, we had no idea according to the map (we would have if he would have said the name of the restaurant!) but we felt special because that means we didn’t look like tourists ourselves.

This morning Kelly and I talked about weather again so I looked it up online about what it is supposed to be like this weekend. Light rain, highs in the upper 40s. Dang. Back to the cooler wet weather that I was so happy was gone. One of the guys told us a Dutch saying about weather and it basically translates to “April will do what it wants.” That is pretty true for a lot of places around the world. I know April can offer some crazy weather back home as well. I guess CO is getting hit from what I hear……

My mom will be arriving tomorrow morning, first thing. I can’t wait to see her. It will be so nice to have her here and spend some time with her. It is also a great birthday present!!! We have a busy schedule planned with lots of things to do and see. I hope this warm weather means more things will be in bloom at Keukenhof! I also have planned to go down and tour a bit of Belgium and see a few cities I’ve wanted to see. After reading and hearing about Kelly’s trip to Brussels, we might have to see how to fit some of this in. I can’t run Mom too ragged since she is still recovering from Africa. I’m just excited to have her here!

No comments:

Post a Comment